Monday, May 2, 2011

Nursing a Toddler

I will be the first to admit that before I had B, I thought it was weird for a toddler to breastfeed. I had the general idea that if they can ask for it, they don't need it.

As with many other things since B was born, things changed. First, I think any other breastfeeding mother would agree that just your perception of breastfeeding (BFing) changes once you've done it yourself. It used to make me feel awkward when I saw a woman BFing in public. I would make sure I didn't stare or make eye contact. . . or even turn my head in that general direction. It's not that it bothered me, I just for some reason thought that she would be offened if I looked. Really, it's sad how little the US knows about BFing and that it isn't more of a norm. I have a great friend that is working in Swazi Land in Africa and when she came home to visit when B was 6 months, she told me all about how it is just so completely normal for women to just whip it out anywhere and feed their baby. I found myself yearning to live in such a place! Now, BFing (and BFing in public) feels like a completely normal, healthy, beautiful thing to me.

So once BFing was normalized for me, I become more and more attached to the idea of BFing. Although BFing is very difficult at times, once you make it through the rough stuff it's really pretty wonderful. I LOVE Breastfeeding. I love holding B and letting her snuggle into me. I love the way she likes pet my hand while my arms are wrapped around her. I love watching her drift off into a milk-induced sleep coma. (Ok, so those of you who AREN'T BFers now have a mental picture and are starting to get that weird awkward feeling. Aren't you?! Admit it!)

So at first, I thought I would want to nurse until she was 12 months old. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends "exclusive breastfeeding for approximately the first six months and . . . breastfeeding for the first year and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child." Most Americans read that as "You should stop at one year" when in fact, it's saying that as long as you both are still mutually desiring it, keep on going! And going, and going, and going! They put no upper limit to the duration of breastfeeding. (Naturally weaning usually happens between 3-7 years of age). Alternatively the World Health Organization recommends infants to continue breastfeeding for up to two years of age or beyond. So okay. . . now I saw the "official" recommendations. Now I needed to decide what I wanted to do.

So again - I love breastfeeding. And B really seems to also. So obviously, it is still "mutually desired". So I've jumped on that train of culturally weird moms who are breastfeeding their toddlers. Which, by the way, is less than 12% of women. (Many of whom I refer to as "closet nursers", such as myself). But it turns out, there is a lot more that goes into Extended Breastfeeding than just being something you and your kid want to do. . .

1. BFing toddlers still has nutritional benefits. That's right. . .just because the colostrum is gone and you are no longer nursing a little itty-bitty baby doesn't mean you're feeding them empty calories. It's still milk, for gosh sakes! And I don't know about you, but it makes a lot more sense to me for my human baby to get human milk. We are the only animals who have normalized drinking another species milk. Not to mention all of the nasty stuff that is IN that cow's milk. . . but that's another story. In the second year, 15 ounces (about 1/2 -1 days worth of milk) contains:
  • 29% of energy requirements
  • 43% of protein requirements
  • 36% of calcium requirements
  • 75% of vitamin A requirements
  • 76% of folate requirements
  • 94% of vitamin B12 requirements
  • 60% of vitamin C requirements
-- Dewey 2001

2. BFing children are sick less often. It's not a coincidence, it's scientific fact. Nursing toddlers have had fewer illnesses and illnesses of shorter duration. When B is sick, she usually doesn't want to eat very many solid foods. BUT she will nurse. So she is getting plenty of fluids, not to mention the aforementioned nutritional benefits. PLUS my milk still has an abundance of anitbodies to fight the infection and protect her from future infection.CHA-CHING!

3. Breastfeeding children are smarter. Okay. . . again with the "I'm raising a genius child". I'm really not on that boat, I promise you. But there has been extensive research on the relationship between cognitive achievement (IQ scores, grades in school, etc) and breastfeeding which has proven that the longest a child breastfeeds, the greater the gain they have!

4. It's convenient. I'll be honest. . . the thought of weaning B would take a lot of time and effort. It's easier to just keep going until she decides she's ready. Plus, I have a easy way to get her to sleep. And BFing gives me a warm and loving way to meet her emotional needs anywhere, anytime. Sometimes, B will want to BF when she is feeling insecure, frustrated, or just having trouble coping with daily stresses of early childhood. It's also a great way for us to reconnect after I've been gone for awhile. Children who achieve independence at their own pace fare far better than those who are forced into independence before they are ready.

5. It's better for me. It will even further reduce my risk of breast cancer, ovarian cancer, uterine cancer, endometrial cancer, osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, AND help with weight loss. The longer you BF, the better your odds!

So I went from hoping I'd make it to 1 year, to thinking maybe I'd push it to 18 months, to feeling positive about nursing until she is two. And then. . . well, we'll cross that bridge when we get there. So next time I see you and you ask, "Is she STILL breastfeeding?!" take note of the look of pride and happiness on my face when I reply, "Yes!"


I would also like to mention how blessed I am to have a husband that supports me
in my decisions one-hundred and ten percent. I love you, Stud.

2 comments:

  1. I don't nurse nearly as often as I'd like to since I started working full time. :( But I'm happy that I'm helping to support my family and at least I got one year at home w/ the lil one... sometimes even when I realize I don't have as much milk as I used to I still nurse... It's an intimate bond- and unless you've been cuddled up with your baby and experienced it, I don't think people really know what they are missing! The people who judge breastfeeding mothers(whether extended or not), are usually those who did not even want to try in the first place...or who pervert it with social stigmas. It's wonderful! I'm glad you are making your bb healthy and happy <3 -Ashley Williams

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!! LOVE LOVE LOVE this :)

    ReplyDelete