Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Do overs.

I'm NOT making any announcements, but lately I've been thinking a lot about what I would do differently and what I would do the same should there be a baby #2. Here is goes.

Top Five things I'd do differently:

1. Wear her more often. As in baby wearing. As in slings, carrying her around, koala baby. I didn't discover Attachment Parenting until B was about 9 months old, and although I did wear her on occasion, it was more of for convenience than as a lifestyle. It just makes more sense. Babies who are worn feel closer to mom, are "at home" and more easily comforted, plus mom remains hands-free and can do whatever she needs to do; go shopping, do laundry, fix dinner.Studies also show babies who are worn speak sooner because they are always with an adult and close to their mouth where they can hear and SEE what they are saying. Not to mention I would be able to go about my business where ever I am and still be able to breastfeed while baby #2 is in the sling without anyone being able to tell. Awesome!

2. Co-sleep. I was so worried if I ever let Isabelle sleep in bed with me (or anywhere not in her crib) that she would never sleep alone. And maybe that's true. She WAS a pretty good sleeper and maybe it's because she was in the crib from day 1.But after reading about all of the benefits of co-sleeping, it's definitely something I'd like to heavily consider with baby #2. Co-sleeping is easier because you don't have to get up, walk down the hall, sit in the rocker and feed your baby. Co-sleeping babies have better oxygen levels, breathing rates, and healthier sleep cycles than a baby that sleeps alone. Children who share sleep with their parents have been shown to be more independent than their peers. Yes, we may have a sleeping buddy for another 3-6 years, but really. . . is that so bad? If nothing else, I'd like to at least do it for the first 3 months. At least. I'd always heard so many bad things about co-sleeping, it's been enlightening to hear when done safely, how great it can be!

3. Sleep training. Wish I'd known about what a REAL baby is like and learned to embrace it from the beginning. I spent way too much time and energy trying to make sure she didn't have any sleep associations, trying to get her on a schedule, and trying to "help" her to learn to fall asleep on her own. I still feel guilty for the one day I let Isabelle cry alone in her room. 30 minutes in and we were both hysterical, shaking anxiously, and emotionally hurting. I don't know about her, but I'm certainly scarred for life! Thank God I've read "The No Cry Sleep Solution" and can now cuddle, nurse, love, hold, rock, whatever, my baby to sleep for as long as I want and as much as I want and know I can eventually, when we are ready, GENTLY help her learn better sleep habits without ever having to let her cry-it-out.Glad I don't have to go through that mess again!

4. This is so not crunchy of me. . . but baby #2 I'm getting an epidural sooner. The 2 hours of intense labor with B isn't something I want to experience again. I don't tolerate pain well. Now I know why other moms would always snicker and/or roll their eyes when I told them I wanted to try to go without. Props to those of you super strong women who do!

5. Take off the full 12 weeks. I had my first wedding 6 weeks after B was born. Then at 8. That was too soon. I deserved a longer break, I just pushed out at 8lb 10oz baby!!






No comments:

Post a Comment